Ramble around the commencing point of the legendary Mt.Everest summit in less than two weeks of duration. Thinking! how it’s possible? To accommodate time-constrained EBC trekkers, the Mission Himalaya Treks team has curated a 12-day Short Everest Base Camp Trek Package.
If you are thinking about whether the short trek to Everest satiates your Everest exploration thrust, then remove this mindset and be ready for EBC cultural tours through Sherpa settlements while heading towards the maximum altitude of Everest Base Camp and Kalapatthar. Though this short trek around Everest doesn't include long trekking days in its itinerary, it does ensure to let travelers revel in all the attractions of the Everest Region.
Short Everest Base Camp Trek Highlights
- Sun rayed views of Mt.Everest and other nearby peaks and mountains from the highly elevated Kalapatthar viewpoint
- Thrilling landing at the Tenzing-Hillary Airport of Lukla
- Phenomenal view of Khumbu Icefall and glaciers
- Opulent sherpa culture exploration and insight into Tibetan Buddhism
- Probe to Namche Bazaar- Meeting point of Sherpa porter to their trekking guest
- Adventurous journey to higher altitudes escaping the acclimatization days
- Alpine wildlife and Floral species of the world’s highest elevated Sagarmatha National Park
- Crossing suspension bridges, walking along the river sides, herds of yaks and horses glimpse
For whom is the short Everest Base Camp Trek?
Everest relates to the dream of every single climber and trekker all over the universe. Where the climbers are focused to scale the Mt Everest summit, the trekkers are endowed to step the Mt Everest foothill.
However, all climbers are not blessed with enough 3 month-long vacations or even the dollars and endurance to conquer the vertex point of mighty Mt Everest. For such climbers, a voyage to the Everest Base Camp within 10 trekking days duration comes more than handy.
Intrepid trekkers with ephemeral vacations also find this short Everest Base Camp Trekking in Nepal quite rewarding. Though this short EBC trek with no acclimatization days is not recommended for novice trekkers.
But, as long as one has a short hiking experience with perfect physical health, with a trekking guide and porter, such enthusiasts can also complete the trek facing quite more struggle than the experienced pioneers.
The trekkers with no prior hiking experience find the normal 14 days Everest Base Camp Trek most happening. The reason behind this is the presence of acclimatization days on the trek letting them cover the elevated distance of the Khumbu trekking trail in a more relaxed manner.
How does the short trek around Everest commences and proceeds further?
This short trek to Everest Base Camp starts after the scenic flight from Kathmandu to Lukla. Following the way along the Dudhkshi river, trekkers will trek through the beautiful settlements of Phakding and Monjo.
Further continuing the walk, there comes the Sagarmatha National Park Entry Gate the way before reaching Namche. Known as the commercial hub of the Everest region, Namche Bazaar houses the region's best cafes, bars, and shops.
Meeting with the bold Sherpa people and witnessing the beautiful mountain scenery is the prime attraction of this place. Further, the taste of the sherpa dish and a stroll around the street market of Namche makes you extol more and more about this place.
After spending the pleasing night at Namche, the next day the trail takes the trekkers to the eminent pilgrimage destination of the Everest Region, Tengboche. Embellished with prayer wheels, colorful prayer flags, and several other amenities, Tengboche Monastery is the gem of the Everest Region.
With Mt. Ama Dablam in the backdrop, this Buddhist Pilgrimage Site gathers lots of Buddhist pilgrims and travelers mainly during the Mani Rimdu Festival.
Within a few hours of walking from Tengboche, there comes Dingboche. Popular as the Summer Valley of the region, Dingboche boasts spectacular mountain vistas and lets you take the best shots as well.
Proceeding the journey from Dingboche, the Everest Base Camp Short Trek takes you to the Lobuche. A gradual ascend via the moraine glacier and boulders along the Imja River leads you to the last teahouse stop of the Everest region and that is Gorakshep.
Further continuing the trek towards Everest Base Camp from Gorakshep, you will realize all your hardships getting paid off. The feeling of being at the foot of the Everest Base Camp is truly something that you will reminisce on your entire life.
Feast your eyes on the wonders of the Everest Base Camp and capture some moments on your camera before making your return to the Gorakshep. Not much far away from Gorakshep another major highlight is waiting for you. And that is the highest trek point of the Short Everest Base Camp Trek, Kalapatthar. Following the adventurous trail from Gorakshep to Kalapatthar, enjoy the stunning sunrise view over Mount Everest and other alluring peaks.
After immersing yourself in the wilderness of the Everest Region take a flight back to Kathmandu from Lukla.
Cost variation of Short EBC Trek with Normal EBC Trek
There is not much difference in the Short EBC Trek cost when compared with the EBC trekking following a normal itinerary. The reason for this is the fare of the flight from Lukla to Kathmandu and vice versa.
About 30% of the total EBC cost is comprised of the Lukla flight. In both cases, the Lukla flight is a must in the itinerary. Except for the acclimatization day of 2 days, the cost of the guide and porter is also the same. Similar is the case with food and lodging.
Short Everest Base Camp Trek Difficulty
- Opting for the normal Everest Base Camp Trek is difficult in itself. And when the number of trekking days gets decreased from that of a normal trek package, just imagine how difficult the Short Everest Base Camp Trek is.
- Undoubtedly this short trek to Everest Base Camp is more favorable to people with previous high-altitude trekking experience. But the sharp gain of altitude on a daily basis makes the trek difficult even for them.
- This rapid Everest Base Camp Trek commences from Lukla (2800m) and takes you up to the highest elevation of 5500m at Kala Patthar within a short time duration. Gaining a high elevation every day without acclimatization rest greatly increases the risk of acute mountain sickness. Thus, before you embark on the journey of Everest Base Camp Short Trek be mindful of the symptoms and curations of acute mountain sickness.
- To prevent yourself from altitude sickness do remember to avoid alcohol and keep yourself hydrated throughout the journey. If you notice any of the symptoms of altitude sickness like dizziness, loss of appetite, shortness of breath, and like that then don't forget to take immediate help from your travel guide.
- Besides the altitude sickness, another challenging factor of this trek is the type of trekking trails. The hike to EBC over rough terrain with a steep and exposed section consisting of glaciers and boulders also matters a lot in making your trek strenuous. Trekking over these glaciers and boulders is not an easy task for anyone. So, prepare your physics and mentality for such a type of walk, and be sure to wear quality hikers.
- As the packing of your trekking gear plays an important role in making your trek either easier or more difficult. Therefore, depending upon the season you are trekking, make your packing accordingly. This Short trek to EBC cuts acclimatization from the standard Everest Base Camp Trek package. Thus you needn’t have to carry the extra stuff which might else be used on those rest days.